Welcome Anonymous, It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:57 pm

Since this is about photographers

Amateur photographers - equipment, techniques and more.

Since this is about photographers

Postby DangerousDi » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:40 am

How about some tips from some of you? Have you ever used something to sub as a filter? I have seen you can cut out a heart, star whatever and put it over the lense and you will get a different look with the pictures.

Any tips you can provide?
If you don't try, you don't know if you would have failed or succeed.
DangerousDi

Re: Since this is about photographers

Postby DarknLadyJedi » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:09 am

If you use a DLSR always, always, and I mean always, use a lens cover. If you don't want a filter get a clear one or a simple UV filter. This can save your lens and save you replacing your lens.

If you want to use some colored gels you can get colored wrap and pull it tight over a frame to hold between your camera and subject for an artsy filter.

A low power flashlight can often be enough to allow a camera to focus in low light without throwing off the use of the flash.

It's a digital camera, you don't pay per picture, take lot's of pictures. If 1 in 10 pictures turns out good you are doing great.

Remember the #1 rule: models do not take bad pictures, photographers take bad pictures. If your subject doesn't look the way you think they should you snapped the shutter.
DarkJedi & LadyJedi
DarknLadyJedi

Postby DangerousDi » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:20 am

Yes 1 in 10 is a good ratio. That is why most of us try to do pictures from 80-150 pictures to ensure there are several good ones.

That is a great idea on the color jells. In the day when I had a 35 mm, I was buying filters over and over again for different colors or effects. That would have saved a bundle.

When you said models do not take bad pictures, you sure put a lot of pressure on the photog. I can say watch Tyra Next Top Model and all the things a model should know. How to pose, what pose is best for them. Short neck stretch your neck, big boobs and you want to look a little smaller, (okay who wants to do that), but any way bend forward a bit. I think it takes both parties to get a perfect picture.

I loved your tips, thank you for sharing.
DangerousDi

Postby WickedWonder » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:50 am

I spent one hell of a lot of money on filters when I used my 35mm cameras and my 120s.

Now that I am using Hasselblad DSLRs, I have found no need for filters. I found they distort the images. I use a good photo editing software for all of my image filtering changes. No need to spend money on something I can digitally edit.

It all depends where your doing your photo shoots. Outdoors I always use a clear optical grade lens to protect the main lens from dust and the elements. I pay close attention of the sun light so not to get reflection onto the lens unless I want it. Indoor/studio, I never use filters.
WickedWonder

Postby DangerousDi » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:17 am

Wicked Wonder;

I am intimadated about using soft wear like backgrounds, although I see lot of them on Ebay. Are they simple to use? Or do they take some getting to know how?
DangerousDi

Postby WickedWonder » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:17 am

You have to use a good editing program to be able to use the backgrounds. Blending in without shadows and definition lines are hard to manipulate. It does take some getting use to to get them to look authentic. I rarely use the backgrounds as I have many that I use during sessions. I was referring to filtering, blurring filters around the subject and subject touch ups. Another feature I am finding that people love is the layering. Two or more photos in one vs double exposures. One particular that comes to mind is a shoot I done, the husband standing nude of course and layered in a semi ghost layer of his wife over the top of him. It looks like she is somewhat transparent standing in front of him as you can see most of him too. Yet her vital areas still are prominently visible as is his. They loved it so well that they had me make a large scale blowup of it so they could hang it in their bedroom. Sensual, sexy and romantically captured.
WickedWonder

Postby DangerousDi » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:54 am

WW:
I use to play with a program we had. I would cut around the image and then I would highlight it and move it into any picture I wanted, was hard to go bit by bit around the image but I did it. Example on a trip with kido's you can quite stand infront of a cactus in the desert, or the great red rocks in Colorado. We had been there but not alone, so weren't able to show off more.

Okay hope I can explain this one. I used a background in black had a mirror on the floor. Then black behind me. Then my husband took pictures of me in sexy clothing that of course show in the mirror and me in person in front of the mirror. Then we did them again with little to nothing on. Then I played with it. I would take the one with little to nothing and put the clothes one of me on the outside of the mirror. To make it clearer you saw two images with ess clothes to naked in the mirror itself, and me in clothes on the outside.

I like you example of the lady over the man. Great idea.
DangerousDi

Postby TN2Willy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:19 am

Would anybody here be interested in doing some simple
editing on my wife's nude photos? Know anybody who does
this sort of thing?
TN2Willy

Postby DangerousDi » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:04 am

TN2Willy: Sorry I don't. Sure some one will take you on.
DangerousDi

Postby darkstar » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:38 am

@TN2Willy
I would be willing to give it a try; I have done a lot of editing (I love playing with photoshop, what can I say) on my wife's pictures. As long as you have fairly high-res pics to begin with, and you let me know in as much detail as you can what you are looking for.
If you want to try, or if you have any questions, drop me a note: darkstar58 at gmail dot com
Mike
darkstar

Postby LacyTampa » Thu May 08, 2014 9:13 am

Remote controlled cams work better then stationary one's for Entertaining
LacyTampa

Postby mandadees » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:59 pm

Can you describe more about remote control cameras Lacy? I don't really think I want to Ouse one erotically, though, it might be fun a couple times. I have another use in mind. If any one else knows much about them? Please join in. :D :D
"The music that really turns me on is either running toward God or away from God. Both recognize the pivot, that God is at the center of the jaunt."
-- Bono

mandadees

Postby Thinker » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:21 am

Are you going to send a remote-controlled camera to spy on me? *blushing*
Thinker

Postby mandadees » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:08 pm

Oh Thinker, what a fun idea! :oops:
"The music that really turns me on is either running toward God or away from God. Both recognize the pivot, that God is at the center of the jaunt."
-- Bono

mandadees

Postby Lothario2 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:15 pm

Hey Dangerous Di... long long time no see! ;)
and I see you started this thread a few years back to stir up some interest about an actual photography thread!

I read your first comment about using a heart shaped filter over the lens... I am guessing you are meaning to get heart shaped bokeh highlights in the background.... which would be a fantastic topic right now since tomorrow is Valentine's Day!

Lothario2

Postby Thinker » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:45 pm

Nice picture Lothorio! Beautiful model too.
Thinker

Postby Lothario2 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:55 pm

Ohhh Thinker... that's not my image.. it's just one I found out there in the "innertubes" to illustrate using a heart filter on the front of the lens with a wipe aperture.

I was trying out how to use the "Img" function up there. It worked!! :)

I haven't ever done that before... I do have a lens that opens up to f-1.4 here.. I may have to try it out and see how it works.

Here.. I'll try the "Img" thing again to see if I can post another image.

Lothario2

Postby Lothario2 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:57 pm

"Wipe aperture" sheesh... that should have read "wide aperture"! :oops:

Must have some sort of Freudian slip up and wipe!
Lothario2

Postby Thinker » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:43 am

I will be ordering a camera this weekend. Think I am going to buy a Nikon D3300. It will have its 18-55mm VR lens and a 55-200mm VR lens.
Thinker

Postby Lothario2 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:00 am

Awww... cool Thinker!! That will be exciting! A new camera is always fun! :P

and a great range of lenses.
Lothario2

Postby mandadees » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:07 pm

Lothario2 wrote:Ohhh Thinker... that's not my image.. it's just one I found out there in the "innertubes" to illustrate using a heart filter on the front of the lens with a wipe aperture.

I was trying out how to use the "Img" function up there. It worked!! :)

I haven't ever done that before... I do have a lens that opens up to f-1.4 here.. I may have to try it out and see how it works.

Here.. I'll try the "Img" thing again to see if I can post another image.

Lothario, What are you trying to do with this? Do you have any pictures with the filters on them so I can get a better understanding?
-- Bono

mandadees

Postby Lothario2 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:42 am

Ohh hey Manda... sorry I wasn't paying attention. :)

That camera image is what I found out in the internetz to give an idea how to shoot a pic like this one I also found out in the the intertwines...
I haven't tried it yet but I think after you get a heart shaped piece of construction paper or something similar affixed in front of the lens... I'd imagine you would shoot with a wide aperture (f-2.8 or wider) and maybe zoomed out so you'd have a shallow depth of focus.... and some out of focus highlights in the background like christmas lights maybe.

I get a chance I might have to try it and see how it goes. 8-)

Lothario2

Postby mandadees » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:37 pm

What a beautiful effect! I'll have to dig my camera out and try that. It would nice for children's pictures.
-- Bono

mandadees

Return to Photographers